January is Mental Wellness Month is a public health and awareness campaign organized by the International Association of Insurance Professionals. Essential to their children, fathers should take some time at the beginning of 2019 to look at their mental wellness. A healthy father sets a good example for his children, and can be a more positive force in their lives.
What is Mental Wellness?
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), mental health is a “state of well-being in which: every individual realizes his or her own potential; can cope with the normal stresses of life; can work productively and fruitfully; is able to make a contribution to her or his community.”
Mental wellness can influence how we act, feel and think. It encompasses all aspects of life: social, emotional, physical, spiritual and intellectual. If these aspects are positive, they come together for an overall state of well-being.
Some of these factors could negatively affect your mental wellness:
- Poor diet
- High amounts of stress
- Excessive smoking or drinking
- Avoiding problems
- Trauma or abuse experience
- Negative coping skills
Mental Wellness Tips
There are ways to improve your overall mental wellness and ensure a healthy state of mind, body, emotions, and lifestyle. Here are eight tips that can help improve mental wellness.
- Exercise and eat a healthy diet
- Appreciate yourself by learning to recognize your personal strengths and weakness
- Build resilience to cope with and recover from negative events
- Develop and maintain healthy friendships and relationships
- Get enough sleep
- Help others
- Learn to be thankful for the good rather than focusing on negative issues
- Get professional help if needed- the Dads’ Resource Center was established to promote the well-being and healthy development of children from separated or divorced families by helping to support and encourage fathers to be fully and actively engaged in the lives of their sons and daughters. If we can help, contact us through our form on our “About Us” page.